alin89

S80 reinnoit

2 posts in this topic

Volvo S80 gets redesign, advanced safety systems

Volvo, the carmaker known for manufacturing exceptionally safe vehicles, has redesigned their S80 flagship sedan, giving it a more elegant and dynamic appeal.

Also new for 2007 are two new engines to provide S80 with more power and help keep it in step with the competition. Additionally, Volvo has packed S80 with an impressive list of technologically-advanced safety systems.

At first glance, you might not see much difference between the first generation S80 and the current car, but this new second-generation model is a bit wider and taller.

The overall length is the same, but the wheelbase is now longer and the track is wider. The new platform is much stiffer, too. All of this helps the new S80 feel more hunkered down and stable, especially at highway speeds.

Exterior styling changes that occurred include a few more curves, softer lines and a noticeably higher and broader shoulder line. These new elements add a more luxurious tone to S80’s contemporary theme.

Bigger alterations can be found under S80’s hood, where last year’s anemic five-cylinder engine gives way to either a 235-horsepower, 3.2-liter inline-six or a 311-horsepower, 4.4-liter V-8.

S80s equipped with the I-6 send power to the front wheels while V-8 models feature Volvo’s intelligent all-wheel drive as standard equipment.

With a starting price of $38,705, the S80 3.2 includes 17-inch alloy wheels, a sunroof, leather upholstery, eight-way power front seats with memory for the driver, dual-zone automatic climate control, an eight-speaker stereo with an in-dash CD changer and an MP3 player jack.

Step up to the S80 V-8 ($47,350), and you’ll get all-wheel drive, an interior air quality system (which monitors incoming air for contaminants and switches to recirculate as necessary), electronic parking brake, “watch dial†instrument cluster design, and wider 17-inch alloy wheels.

Either S80 model can be ordered with the Sport Package ($2,495), which adds 18-inch wheels, Volvo’s Three-Mode Four-C Chassis (adaptive suspension with three driver selectable modes), active bi-xenon headlamps and ventilated front seats with unique perforated leather surfaces.

The Audio Package ($1,550) adds a premium 12-speaker Dynaudio sound system and satellite radio. The Climate Package ($725) provides heated front seats, rain-sensing wipers with heated washer nozzles, and headlamp washers.

Other options to consider include a navigation system, adaptive cruise control, a dual-screen rear entertainment system, Park Assist (front and rear) the Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) and the Personal Car Communicator (PCC), which combines keyless startup with a security system that uses two-way radio technology to let you know the car’s security status.

My S80 V-8 tester featured most of the aforementioned options, save for the rear entertainment system and the navigation system. My two favorite features were the adaptive cruise control and the BLIS.

I used my S80 V-8 tester for a trip from the South Side to Springfield. I was impressed with how the adaptive cruise control system would actually slow us down (by applying the brakes) as we approached slower moving vehicles ahead of us. As soon as the traffic ahead cleared, the adaptive cruise control automatically brought me back to our preset speed. This system lets you set a speed and distance interval. Once you’ve done that, all you really have to do is steer the car.

With BLIS, changing lanes is much less stressful. BLIS uses a camera mounted in each side mirror to alert you by illuminating an amber colored lamp (mounted near the side mirror) when the blind spot is occupied by a vehicle.

Regardless of whether I was on the highway or in town, I felt very relaxed driving my S80 V8 tester. While the S80 isn’t known for being one of the more agile handling sedans in this segment, I truly enjoyed spending hours at the wheel.

I’d be remiss if we didn’t mention how comfortable S80’s seats are and how peacefully quiet the cabin is at highway speeds. The S80 is great for commuting around town, and of course, for those weekend excursions.

Sursa: http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/autos/research/siegel/386099,srch-auto-IS051807.article

Auto Review: Volvo S80

Consumer Center - Even though the basic look of Volvo's new S80 sedan is similar to the car it replaces, this is an all-new sedan.

The grill though is marred by the antenna of the adaptive cruise control, an option I do not like.

Gone is the five-cylinder turbocharged engine. Now it's a 3.2 liter six-cylinder with no turbo. A V8 is available. 235 horsepower is sent to the front wheels through a new six-speed automatic transmission.

Inside, the S80 interior is much more contemporary and stylish. The gauges have needles that seem to float in space. There's push button engine start and a neat storage cubby behind the center stack climate controls.

This is a roomy car with seats that rank among the best. This is a Volvo, so of course side curtain airbags and stability control are standard.

The S80's trunk is huge. The split rear seats provide even more room for long items.

Once you're in motion you can really see and hear how much better the new S80 is than the one it replaced. With the excellent door seals this is a very quiet car and the chassis is much more rigid. It's just overall a nicer car to drive.

The sticker price as tested is $41,865.

The 2007 S80 is a major leap forward for Volvo and it's now a truly competitive luxury sports sedan.

Sursa: http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0707/438640.html

P.S. --- vedeti ca exista si un video in acest link..."Watch the eVideo"